Upon getting our Tesla Model Y in March of 2020 we immediately found that it is a surprisingly firm ride. We promptly disassembled the car and studied the factory spring rates and shock dyno data to create our ideal solution. The Model Y should enjoy a more luxurious smooth driving feel for daily use and so we set out to make the most comfortable ride possible with these fully adjustable coilovers. The end result is that the Tesla Model Y and Model Y Performance are now capable of the ride quality comparable to that of other similarly priced sporty luxury vehicles.
Note: It just so happens that we still ran a blistering 2:01 lap time at Buttonwillow Raceway on the same set of coilovers when turned up to full firm setting!
As with all Unplugged Performance coilovers, there is a wide spectrum of adjustment for both height and damping is engineered to satisfy street and track uses. A quick setting adjustment truly changes the nature of how the car drives in a way that is immediately felt. When the coilovers are set to soft, the ride is significantly softer and more comfortable than the factory springs and shocks. Meanwhile, as the coilovers are turned up firmer, the car becomes a highly precise canyon carver and track animal as shown in the video below!
This and all Unplugged Performance suspension are created by a dream-team of top motorsports suspension engineers to Unplugged Performance specs. Unplugged Performance has a history of being the pioneer of suspension tuning for Tesla and our suspension upgrades are used on multiple world record holding race builds as well as on thousands of daily driven Teslas.
TRUE CUSTOM ENGINEERED SPRINGS BY UNPLUGGED PERFORMANCE X HYPERCO – TWO OPTIONS:
As another first, we’ve engineered true one-off custom springs for these coilovers. Our rear springs are custom engineered in a Tesla specific shape that allows for more spring travel than traditional coilover springs. The bottom of the spring is a 65mm standard coilover size allowing our height adjustable perch, however the top of the spring retains a factory Tesla shape. This allows our coilover springs to not depend on any top adaptor that coilover kits typically require. By designing a custom spring that does not require the top adaptor, we regain that space which would otherwise limit valuable rear spring travel. The only way to accomplish this feat is to engineer and produce our own application specific springs, which we’ve done with world renown Hyperco springs (supplier to Formula One, Indy Car, NASCAR) in two distinctly different options.
Option 1: Luxury Spring – True luxury with maximum spring travel and a supple ride. This is the selection we advise all of our clients looking for the smoothest ride. This option includes the longer of the two spring options with more travel and a softer spring rate. The only downside is if you want to slam your car it will not go as low with this longer spring combination. With this setup you can lower your car by approximately an inch and you can also raise the car by approximately an inch.
Option 2: Sport Spring – A balance of improved handling and the ability to get extremely low ride heights on the Model Y. This will not be as luxurious of a ride due to the shorter and firmer springs but will allow the car to set to a very low ride height.
We offer a 30-day 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee on all of our suspension products. Driving is believing.
THE UNPLUGGED PERFORMANCE STORY:
At Unplugged Performance, we take innovation very seriously. With 20 years of automotive performance experience, we started Unplugged in 2013 with the encouragement of our office neighbors at Tesla Design Studio. Unplugged is dedicated to bringing the best out of every Tesla platform. We have designed and manufactured complete turning solutions for Model S, Model X, Model 3, and now Model Y. We always lead and never compromise. We purchase every Tesla vehicle ourselves and test and refine our products extensively before selling. We work with the best engineers in the world to deliver the highest quality products we demand.
- Height Adjustable – Fully personalize the height of your Model Y. Keep it stock height, raise it, or lower it.
- Dampening Adjustable – One easy to use 24-way adjustable control simultaneously adjusts the ratio of Rebound and Compression damping. Rebound damping regulates the speed at which your shock bounces back from an impact (pothole, bump, hard cornering). By adjusting rebound dampening, one can customize the ride and handling of your Model Y for your needs.
- Quick adjustment knobs allow instant adjustment of dampening in seconds, without tools.
- Correct droop setting at any height – Independent ride height adjustment ensures correct preload setting without sacrifice and handling loss at different heights. Our products are uniquely suited to perform at a wide range of heights.
- High flow D port pistons + super low friction seals and rod guide bushings.
- High-end monotube design – Lighter and more consistent performance when driven hard. No cost-cutting measures utilizing less expensive twin-tube designs. Our monotube design also prevents aeration and shock fade inherent in twin-tube coilovers.
- Progressive bump stops.
- True custom built Hyperco springs that are vehicle specific. These allow increased rear spring travel due to a factory upper spring shape that bypasses the need for an adaptor/spacer.
- Like our Dual Rate Lowering Springs, the Unplugged Performance Coilover Suspension Kit is a simple and straightforward installation onto you Tesla Model Y
- Valved & Assembled in USA
- Rebuildable and re-valvable in USA